Listen Up: Grace Bonney and Julia Turshen on Their New Books—and Some Hostess Gifts, Too!
Oh, wow, dang—are we so excited to talk to Grace Bonney and Julia Turshen, two creative powerhouses who happen to be married...and also happen to have mind-blowing books coming out less than a month apart this fall. We’ll get into all of that just as soon as we share our thoughts about top-notch hostess gifts (that is, besides their knock-out new releases that we plan on buying for everybody).
On gifts to give your hostess...
- Unusual booze we like: chartreuse, cardamaro, pastis, or port—Erica likes Ramos-Pinto NV RP10 Quinta da Ervamoira Tawny 10 Years or white port, which is less raisin-y.
- Get a bloody mary bar going with a bottle of Curt's Special Recipe Bloody Mary Mix or McClure’s Pickles Bloody Mary Mixer.
- Go all-in with a Kingston Wine Co. wine share or, on the much-less-alcoholic end of the spectrum, a bottle of Bittermens is always interesting.
- Chocolate: Mast Brothers, Dick Taylor Craft Chocolate, Nathan Miller, and Compartes (especially the Spring Awakening bar) all look as good as they taste.
- Annnd for the candy lovers, Sweet Saba’s creations are stunners.
- Holy Schmitt's horseradish and Luxardo cherries will last long after you leave. Same goes with olive oil and iced-coffee concentrate!
- Forget wilty bouquets—Dear Paperie’s fake flowers look stunning and don’t need a single drop of water.
- Good smelling stuff: Blackbird AI Incense Pyres, Wary Meyers Striped Glycerin Soaps, and Golda Hiba Wood Atmosphere Mist.
- Games: Settlers of Catan and Machi Koro.
- Kitchen tools: Sagaform Stainless Steel Multifunction Pasta Server, Original Zeroll Aluminum Ice Cream Scoops, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream Sundae Spades, and Caroline Z. Hurley Block-Printed Cork Trivet And Coasters Set.
- Books: The Two Hearts Cooking Set and Every Day: A Five Year Memory Book. Plus, the two by our incredible guests, below!
Our special and amazing guests (and first married A Few Things visitors!), Design*Sponge founder Grace Bonney and rad cookbook author Julia Turshen, stop by to talk books and how to support your partner creatively…
- Get your copy of Julia’s Small Victories: Recipes, Advice, + Hundreds of Ideas for Home Cooking Triumphs now!
- Pre-order Grace’s In the Company of Women: Inspiration and Advice from Over 100 Makers, Artists and Entrepreneurs, which comes out October 4th. You might even find some familiar faces in it. ;)
- Grace’s column Biz Ladies column has been a longtime fave for power-woman inspo. And for any girls who might be too young for Grace’s book, check out Rad American Women A-Z.
- For an idyllic upstate New York adventure, the Field + Supply fair is worth checking out.
- Just a handful of the other books Julia’s written: It’s All Good (with Gwyneth Paltrow), The Hot Bread Kitchen Cookbook (with Jessamyn Waldman Rodriguez), and Buvette: The Power of Good Food (with Jody Williams).
- If you’re looking for even more home cookin inspo, Julia loves The Gift of Southern Cooking by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock, Country Weekends by Lee Bailey, and Barefoot Contessa Parties! by Ina Garten.
To advertise on our podcast, email email@example.com. Our intro music, “Butterfield East,” is written and performed by The Soulful Saints, and we have Julia Alsop to thank for our sound-engineering. If you want to hear us talk to another cool cookbook author, JJ Goode, listen here!