Listen Up: A Halloween Super Special, featuring Stellar Popcorn Tips and Political Dress-Up Wisdom from Veep’s Costume Designer
Trick-or-treat yo’ self to this very timely episode, packed with kernels of advice about our favorite snack and allll kinds of intel from Veep wardrobe maven Kathleen Felix-Hager. Yes, we chat a lot about D.C.—but we promise there’s very little election talk ‘cause at this point that would just be ghoulish.
On our alts to a popcorn ball…
- In the microwave: Quinn Popcorn, especially Parmesan & Rosemary. Also, the umami-happy Hawaiian Hurricane.
- The lo-fi microwave approach: Read Mark Bittman’s excellent advice for brown baggin’ it.
- Toppings: Our go-tos are nutritional yeast, Old Bay, and this make-it-yourself magic dust.
- Stovetop: Erica swears by her Le Creuset 3.25 qt Covered Saucepan and coconut oil.
- Pre-popped: BjornQorn from the Hudson Valley and Claire’s favorite Japanese discovery, Mike Popcorn, available in bulk on the internet.
- Chicago Mix: Garrett Popcorn and G.H. Cretor’s had a heated fight over the name Chicago Mix. Marjorie Ingall has the scoop, and The Chicago Tribune followed up if you want to dig a little deeper.
Our special and amazing guest Kathleen Felix-Hager, Veep costuming mastermind, on how she got into this world and how outfits can drive a plot...
- Kathleen’s career started on Waterworld (!!!)—but she dressed Dexter, too. Creeeeeeepy.
- For the first (fictional) female president, it’s all about chicness—you can read more about how Kathleen defines power dressing in InStyle. Michelle Obama is on the mood board ‘cause, duh.
- If you’re experiencing withdrawal, Season 7 of Veep will premiere in Spring 2017!
To advertise on our podcast, email email@example.com. Our intro music, “Butterfield East,” is written and performed by The Soulful Saints. Need even more costume inspo? The Get Down wardrobe designer Jeriana San Juan has your seventies style tips on lock.