Listen Up: Episode 29, Stuff We Eat Up: Edible Gifts and Woman-Made Music
In case there’s someone on your holiday list who won’t appreciate the joy of a gift from this very website (so sorry if you know someone like this), we have some edible ideas that we’d be happy to munch on any ‘ol time of year. And if you need some tunes to power through that late-night wrapping sesh, our friend Jon Caramanica (you know his byline) is here to chat all about women in music—the ones you know all about and the ones you should.
Episode 29: Stuff We Eat Up: Edible Gifts and Woman-Made Music // LISTEN
Let’s talk about: Our gift to you: eats and beats.
The post-listen link-dumpage:
On all of the perishable presents...
- Big Sur Bakery: Order the stollen, which you can only get this time of year (note: It takes two weeks to ship—so New Year’s gift, perhaps?!).
- Russ & Daughters: You can’t go wrong at this family-owned NYC institution, but we recommend the babka, dried fruit, pecans, chocolate-covered almonds, and, for the win, the New York Brunch—a perfect gift for new parents or any lox-lovers, really.
- Zingerman’s: Give your Midwestern friends the gift of nostalgia with the Great Lakes Artisan Box.
- Nudo Adopt: This olive oil company’s pretty cans give us alllll the feelings—and who wouldn’t want to be gifted their own tree in an Italian olive grove?
- Sqirl: Their Jam Club subscription is THE jam.
- Frog Hollow Farm: Our favorite for delicious dried fruit.
- Ojai Pixie Party Pack: Winter blues begone with this awesome pairing of California citrus and avocados.
- Amish Country Popcorn Kit: A slew of heirloom kernels that demand a pop-off.
On the women in music you gotta know—with Jon Caramanica!
- The tomato problem in country music.
- On country radio: Read this, then this.
- Jon’s still working through trauma from Shania Twain’s Vegas show (there’s a horse involved).
- Country’s leading ladies: Kacey Musgraves, Ashley Monroe (also of Pistol Annies with Miranda Lambert), Cam, Martina McBride, Reba McEntire (this year’s album is on fire, y’all), and Kelsey Ballerini—the next Tay (dare we say).
- Introducing Poo Bear (no, not THAT one).
- Girl groups: Fifth Harmony…and remember Danity Kane? Check this out.
- Hit songwriters: Ester Dean, Hillary Lindsey, and Nicki.
- Women in hip hop: Nyemiah Supreme of Sisterhood of Hip Hop and Dej Loaf (try the song "My Beyoncé" and this one with Casey Veggies).
- As if we haven’t said it enough, start listening to Ebro in the Morning (Ebro, call us), and while you’re at it, download the app Where Hip Hop Lives.