Listen Up: Episode 31, Essentials: The Stuff You Need...and the Stuff You Don’t
January is all about stocking up and clearing out, right? That’s our plan, anyway—because on the most recent episode of A Few Things with Claire and Erica, we’re bringing you a grocery list of the things we finish in our kitchen cabinets. Then! The lovely Erin Boyle, creator of Reading My Tea Leaves and author of Simple Matters who once lived in an apartment the square footage of a large bathroom, is sharing her secrets to paring-down and making the most of living in any space, no matter the size. Aspiring minimalists, you will eat this one up.
P.S. There is now an A Few Things book club! First up: Euphoria, which we’ll be talking out on Feb. 17.
Episode 31: Essentials: The Stuff You Need...and the Stuff You Don’t // LISTEN
Let’s talk about: Grocery goodness and #lifeinatinyapartment.
The post-listen link-dumpage:
The inaugural A Few Things book club book...
- We’re reading Euphoria, by Lily King, which involves 1930s anthropologists and a love triangle (salacious!), and we’ll be discussing it on February 17th’s episode.
- Suggestions for book club names welcome—hit email@example.com.
Our pantry essentials...
- Sauces! Our Asian condiment sextet: Fish sauce (go new-school with Red Boat or throwback with Three Crabs); mirin, for sweetness; rice wine vinegar; tamari or soy sauce; miso; and sesame oil to tie it all together.
- Erica’s current go-to dressing: rice vinegar, mustard, olive oil, and a little maple syrup.
- Rice vinegar, miso, and brown sugar = Claire’s go-to glaze for chicken and fish.
- Recipe for tomato-scallion-farro salad with fish sauce dressing.
- Fancy olive oil—Claire has the Nudo subscription, and Erica likes Esporao.
- Hot sauce—we like classics like Tabasco, Valentina, and Frank’s Red Hot (for when you’re feeling a little trashy).
- Things you sprinkle: nutritional yeast, Old Bay, toasted pine nuts, golden raisins.
- Canned things: Tonnino and Ortiz tuna (or Bumblebee, for emergencies); anchovies, to melt into anything and everything; chickpeas.
- In the freezer: frozen peas, frozen fruit for smoothies, chopped frozen broccoli, and frozen spinach.