Listen Up: Our Spring Must-Reads and an Expert Guide to Hippie Trends Worth Trying
The sophomore season of A Few Things with Claire and Erica has come to an end! We’d like to think we at least made the dean’s list, eh?? Our finale episode includes a reading list to tide you over ‘til season three (share your thoughts with #ReadingThings—please!) and futuristic flower child Alisa Gould-Simon’s guide to the hippie trends that are gonna make us unrecognizably zen when we meet again.
EPISODE 44 RECAP
Our spring must-reads...
- Claire’s book recommendations: The Portable Veblen by Elizabeth Mckenzie; Citizen by Claudia Rankine (also read this NYT Magazine companion piece related to the chapter on Serena Williams); and Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (read now because you’ll want to watch the HBO limited series when it airs).
- Claire’s to-read list: All the Single Ladies by Rebecca Traister, author of Big Girls Don’t Cry (also read her compelling article for New York magazine on Marcia Clark); Ways to Disappear by Idra Novey (if you liked Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple, you’ll like this); and What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell.
- Erica’s book recommendations: Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld (who also wrote American Wife, which feels timely); Packing for Mars by Mary Roach, author of Gulp and Stiff; Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon; and More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera.
- Erica’s to-read list: Marriage, a History by Stephanie Coontz; Two Summers by Aimee Friedman; and Negroland by Margo Jefferson.
Our special and amazing guest Alisa Gould-Simon gives master’s class in wellness...
- For those of you who don’t have an Alisa in your life, here’s an introduction to oil-pulling.
- The next oil-pulling: Dry brushing and an apple cider vinegar-based switchel—mix ginger, water, apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup in a blender.
- Check out Alisa’s magical Flora Luna shop of handcrafted flower essences and natural remedies.
- Also having a moment: Burning things like sage and Palo Santo.
- Alisa’s healing crystal pick: Flourite, which will hopefully have a more positive effect on you than it did on Spencer Pratt.
Have a topic you’re dying to hear us cover? Got a question about a recent episode? Send all your #AFewThings thoughts to email@example.com.