Listen Up: School Supplies and All the Best Beauty News
This week, we’re welcoming the real start of the year, September, with an ode to our favorite school (or fine, office) supplies. Then, speaking of tools of the trade, we asked writer and beauty-world authority Kayleen Schaefer to tell us what trends we need to be aware of, what it’s like to watch a plastic surgery, and her all-important thoughts on Kylie’s Lip Kit.
On school supplies…
- To write with: Le Pen, Palomino Blackwing 602 pencil, and Hagoromo Fulltouch Chalk.
- To paint with: Akashiya Sai Watercolor Brush Pens—no supplies necessary, not even a paintbrush or water.
- To write on: Life Vermilion B6 notebook, Word Notebooks, Semikolon Sticky Notes, and Hay Tower Blocks Paper Notes.
- Tools: Muji Handy Shredder, Hay Phi Scissors, Kokuyo Harinacs Stapleless Stapler, and Muji Pen Holder Clip.
- Sources for this stuff: McNally Jackson Goods in Soho.
- Donate backpacks filled with fresh school supplies to kids in need via Operation Backpack and State Bags.
- Check out The Sweethome for their amazing guide that involved 160 hours of testing.
- Your Kayleen 101 reading list: Get a behind-the-scenes look at a real Brazilian butt lift (and then follow Dr. Miami on Snapchat) and don’t miss out on her profile of Dubai beauty blogger, Huda Kattan.
- Sania’s Brow Bar in NYC now has a space just for men. And we have Sonia’s amazing brow pencils on our site.
- Kayleen’s go-to skin products: Chanel La Solution 10 Sensitive Skin Cream and the crazy, non-goopy new dry mask from Nannette de Gaspé.
- Makeup stuff: If you’re looking for some crazy colors, check out ColourPop—they also manufacture Kylie Cosmetics (including the new KyShadow). And don’t sleep on Beautycounter if you’re on the natural-beauty train—we’re into their Lip Sheer in Twig.
- Seven day polishes are a thing—CND’s don’t require UV-curing.
Our intro music, “Butterfield East,” is written and performed by The Soulful Saints, and we have Julia Alsop to thank for our sound-engineering. Wanna learn every last detail about Claire and Erica’s beauty routines? Get ‘em here and here.