Listen Up: How to Vacation!
Get in here—we’re going deep on vacationing, devoting the entire episode to Claire and Erica’s advice for unplugging, nailing the just-right destination, and not driving people nuts with your infinity pics on Instagram along the way.
But first, one programming note: You have one week left to finish our latest #ReadingThings pick, Silver Sparrow! We’ll be chatting about it with author Tayari Jones next week, and trust us—you’re gonna have serious FOMO if you didn’t cross the finish line.
On how to check out, the right way…
- Required reading: this New York Times piece on why a three-week vacation is where it’s at.
- Setup Erica’s If This, Then That (IFTTT) email hack before you go—you can get a text when something from an important email address comes in.
- Listen, you do you—but we’re taking notes on how to handle social media from this other New York Times story, which says three posts per location, max.
- You can find a few favorite picks from Erica’s recent trip to Italy here and stalk her Portuguese honeymoon guide right here.
- Claire’s South of France stay included a couple of splurge-y nights at La Bastide de Moustiers and a stop in the pretty little village of Saignon. She also makes the case for extended Airbnb stays anywhere you roam.
- Related: This Bon Appetit essay on cooking while traveling, by Andy Ward and Jenny Rosenstrach of Dinner, a Love Story.
- And for more research advice, definitely don’t miss Lizzie Fortunato’s guide to googling your way to a great trip.
- Just a reminder: Drinking is an excellent vacation activity—and also prime for souvenirs. Follow Claire’s North Fork guide, and don’t miss out on Croteaux’s Chloe Sauvignon.
- We wanna know—where do you vacation, and what are your work strategies while you do it? Tell us at email@example.com!
To advertise on our podcast, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our intro music, “Butterfield East,” is written and performed by The Soulful Saints, and we have Julia Alsop to thank for our sound-engineering. Feeling wanderlust-y? Check out our roundup of beachy honeymoon (or any kind of moon!) trips.