Listen Up: Our Favorite Fitnessing Gear—and How to Get Your Hair in Shape, with Claire’s Stylist Chris Lospalluto
Unfortunately for all of us, in-shape bodies and manes both require time and energy and SUPPLIES. We break down the workout stuff that works for us, and then—by popular demand!—we grill Claire’s curly-hair whisperer Chris Lospalluto on how to cut it as a New York stylist and what products he sweats. All your buns will thank us.
But first! Our next installment of #ReadingThings lands right before Thanksgiving—on November 21st, we’ll be chatting all about Ruth Ozeki’s novel, A Tale for the Time Being. Get into it.
On our give-it-your-all gear…
- To kick things off, workout routines we’re feeling: The Bar Method, The New York Times Advanced 7-Minute Workout, Physique 57.
- Socks: Richer Poorer (a line we sell on our site!) has an excellent line of grippy athletic styles called Pointe Studio.
- Pants: Outdoor Voices’s Two-Tone Warmup Leggings are a great year-round option, and The North Face Women’s Winter Warm Tights come in handy on the bitterest days.
- Jackets: Uniqlo Women’s Ultra Light Down Vest and Patagonia Women’s Down Sweater Hoody are both lightweight and super warm—and double as plane pillows if need be.
- Gloves and scarves: Erica likes Lululemon Run With Me Gloves, and the Patagonia Micro Fleece Gaiter will keep your neck and ears cozy.
- Shoes: The Nike Free 5.0 is a classic choice, but if you’re looking for a little more support, the Nike Free RN Distance and Nike Air Pegasus are heavier on the cushioning. And for more on running-shoe theories, read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.
- Hair: Original Invisibobble Hair Ties are sturdy and won’t cause tangles—but if you’ve got a whole lot of hair that’s acting up, Scunci No-Slip Grip Chunky Jaw Clips are Claire’s old faithfuls.
- Sunscreen: Supergoop Skin Soothing Mineral Sunscreen with Olive Polyphenols SPF 40—and/or throw on a baseball cap like Erica. Related: Tell us your favorite spray-on sunblock options!
- Sports bras: Claire’s favorite Lululemon My Heart Races bras are discontinued, but their other options are solid, too—as are Nike’s choices. Erica likes the Champion Women's Double Dry Distance Underwire Sports Bra and Patagonia Women's Compression Bra.
- Tools: Erica’s been coveting the leather Everlast Jump Rope, to put those childhood skillz to use.
- Make like Claire and listen to the Fat Mascara podcast for beauty news and an argument for why awards season is great for hair ‘n makeup.
- Let’s talk holy grail products—Chris swears by Sally Hershberger’s 24K line for excellent texture, along with everything by Christophe Robin (we’re especially partial to his Cleansing Purifying Scrub with Sea Salt). And to give your hair a break from shampooing, dpHue Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse is a gentle alternative.
- For celeb hair inspo, keep an eye on Kristen Stewart (and her stylist Adir Abergel) as well as Rosie Huntington-Whiteley.
- What’s dry conditioner? It probably doesn’t matter since Chris suggests using a dry oil, like Leonor Greyl Huile Secret de Beaute, instead.
- For more ways to baby your strands, invest in a Shhhowercap and the silicone-free Rahua Finishing Treatment.
To advertise on our podcast, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our intro music, “Butterfield East,” is written and performed byThe Soulful Saints. Now that you’ve got that great new gear, don’t you want some running tips? Nike coach Jes Woods has you covered.